Tuesday 15 December 2009

The VGA Awards 2009











Unfortunately, despite this being the main thing I wanted to watch this year as it's about the only event/award show I can bear to watch, we don't have SPIKE in the UK, so I couldn't. I got the results on the site, though, and damn am I pleased.

Hoo-bloody-ray. It appears the gaming experts haven't completely lost their coconuts. Modern Warfare 2, the most overrated game ever to be spoken of, was not awarded Game of the Year for Xbox 360, or PS-Triple, or Overall GOTY. It also didn't win best graphics, and Infinity Ward didn't win Studio of the Year (rightly seeing as there are sooo many Studios who work harder and more efficiently, dare I say it BUNGIE), so I'm definitely happy with that. They DID win Best Shooter and Best Multiplayer, but it really doesn't bother me too much as: Best Shooter basically means yet another generic FPS bent to entertain the mindless kids, and Best Multiplayer didn't have great nominess, except Left 4 Dead 2 which utilises co op, in my opinion the best kind of multiplayer as it forces you to work as a team, not for selfish reasons.

Game of the Year - Xbox 360: Left 4 Dead 2
Game of the Year - PC: Dragon Age: Origins
Game of the Year - PS3: Uncharted 2
Game of the Year - Overall: Uncharted 2

Not much more I can say for those winners apart from congrats. Left 4 Dead 2 is a definite improvement on a fantastic formula - arguably the best co op experience of all time - and I haven't played Uncharted 2 but it looks like a brilliantly original and a great addition to the Adventure genre. Dragon Age: Origins, well done, but I really can say nothing for it as the Fantasy RPG genre doesn't appeal to me one bit.

Looking forward to next year's VGA, I hope to see Bad Company 2 winning Best Multiplayer, Heavy Rain for PS3' GOTY and hooopefully Fallout New Vegas for Xbox 360's, but I can't rely on Obsidian making it amazing. Best RPG FFXIII? Maybe...


No comments:

Post a Comment