Saturday 12 December 2009

It's official: Assassin's Creed II is trying to kill me and take my non-existent kids.
















Anyone who's played the frankly brilliant Assassin's Creed II will know there is definitely one annoying thing. It's not mission repetitiveness, not the lack of ability to swim, not awful cutscenes; they fixed those faults of the first game. It's those bloody feathers. 

Yes, Ubisoft were kind enough to free us of the God-forsaken flag collectibles of Assassin's Creed, but couldn't resist twisted the knife as they took it out of the wound by giving us a different type of collectible: FEATHERS. Ooh, cos like, Assassins and eagles and stuff... yeah, makes sense. Problem is, although these tend to actually exist unlike many of the flags in the first game which just wouldn't be there at all, it's still almost impossible to get all of them. They're a lot smaller and all 100 of them are scattered widely over the whole game. But that isn't my big deal. My big deal is that I have 99 of them.

I'll admit it, I'm an Achievement whore. I have 960g from Assassin's Creed II, leaving the 30g achievement for all 100 feathers, and the 10g for wearing the Auditore Cape WHICH CAN ONLY BE OBTAINED FROM GETTING ALL 100 FEATHERS. I've used maps from the internet to scour beautiful Florenzia and bella Venezia, and all the smaller towns. 99. 1 feather is out there. I've missed it, and I don't know where. On Friday 11th December I was feather hunting for 6 hours. On the 12th, feather hunting for another 4. By the end I was near hallucinating, dreaming of 'if the feather would give us a feast when we found it' and wondering 'what the feather would taste like'. I ate my dinner but all I saw was a pile of feathers were steak and chips should have been. It's one of the most maddening experiences gaming has shat on me. I feel betrayed. 

One day Ubisoft might make collectible hunting at least possible by adding them as dots on the map, and just having more of them or putting them in tough places to keep the challenge. Until then, I'll just drool over Google Image's results on feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment