Thursday 28 October 2010

Radroaches aren't the only bugs in New Vegas












I've been waiting for New Vegas to come out for a hell of a long time. I racked up a ruinous 250 hours on Fallout 3 and was totally immersed in its post-apocalyptic world, and with all 5 expansions completed a sequel was, naturally, an attractive prospect. To some extent, New Vegas delivers. It's got a map even larger than Fallout 3, more guns, more enemies - this is a wasteland brimming with adventure, and I have no doubt it'll be a long time before I'm willing to leave. 

However, if you've read anything about the game, you'll have heard about the bugs. I cannot possibly overstate how poorly this game has been polished; for every amazing quest you have, the experience will no doubt be dampened by some stupid enemy stuck in the floor, an item disappearing from your inventory (I even had my armour disappearing off my own body), or a total game crash at that critical moment. It surprises me that a game that uses such a close template to Fallout 3 has suddenly become such a technical mess. Bethesda's title had its fair share of glitches, sure, but nowhere near to this degree. It's not just glitch issues that bother me either, but also things like that frame-rate can be truly horrible at times. The game often struggles horribly to process the number of enemies on-screen, even if there aren't that many - I remember being faced with five radscorpions, but the game became so choppy (with the frame rate dropping to what must have been about 5fps) that it was too painful on the eyes to even look at the screen. 

I won't go into a great amount of detail, as I am saving my ideas on it for my review on ps3xboxreviews, but while I'd definitely recommend the game to anyone who enjoyed Fallout 3, I'd also be prepared for the worst in terms of production quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment